Northern Kentucky business accelerator UpTech named 22 semi-finalists for its second class of participants.
Applications for UpTech II were up 35 percent over last year, and 14 percent of them came from the Cincinnati region.
“We broadened our reach and our capacity to market the Northern Kentucky region as a great place to start a business, work, and raise a family,” Amanda Greenwell, UpTech program manager, said in a statement.
UpTech II participants will receive an equity investment of $50,000, six months of free office space, an executive mentor, a team of business professionals providing financial, law, accounting, sales and marketing support services, one year Northern Kentucky Chamber of Commerce membership, one year Greater Cincinnati Venture Association membership, and access to resources at Northern Kentucky University’s Center for Applied Informatics and student interns.
The 22 semi-finalists were chosen by a panel of 40 judges that included entrepreneurs, investors and regional startup experts. The final selection for UpTech II will be announced in July.
The semi-finalists include two of our Masters in Public History students, Sean Thomas and Steve Oldfield who launched a business (Touritz- Bringing Walking Tours to your Phone) providing technology solutions for historical sites. Among their first projects was the Battle of Augusta, an internet “walking” tour of Augusta, KY and the famous Civil War battle that took place there. (www.battleofaugusta.com.)
Both Sean and Steve had professional broadcast and journalism experience prior to joining the MAPH program. They are using these professional talents to build digital access to historical areas.
Other semi-finalists include:
- 3DLT.com, the “iStockphoto” for 3D printable designs
- Liquid Innovation LLC, which builds mobile software to collect, store, analyze and organize data
- Tixers, which guarantees the value of tickets traded in and allows users to earn points almost immediately that can be used for other tickets on the site
- Happy Fit-Company Health Program, a comprehensive biometric driven health program designed to improve the helath of employees in small and mediun sized companies
- Hire Speaker, an online social media website where anyone can find a public speaker for an event
- Bearhug Technologies LLC, a web-based connected care platform for behavioral health providers
- Kandid.ly, a community and marketplace that compares and books local photographer